Music

Band readies new material

In promotion of their new EP scheduled to be released at the top of next month, This Providence plans on giving their fans access into their recording sessions with exclusive behind-the-scenes video footage. | Courtesy of A-Squared Management

A brand new self-released EP and several tour dates are just a few things This Providence has been focused on since announcing their split from former label, Fueled By Ramen, in March.

The band recorded at least 35 demos for their EP “Brier” with producer Matt Grabe who has worked with artists like The Maine and The Summer Set.

The full EP will be available May 1 through the band’s new imprint, Magic Mike Records. Most of the demos were recorded in guitarist Gavin Phillips’ home in Brier, Wa. — the inspiration behind the EP’s title.

“Being on Fueled By Ramen, there was always an expectation to please this crowd or the label this way — it was this unspoken expectation,” drummer Andrew Horst said.

“I think ‘Brier’ is a little bit of a step away from our previous sound. We’ve really boiled stuff down to whatever is going to make the strongest sound and not worry about who it’s going to please. In a positive way I think we made a selfish record by recording something we love and enjoy.”

The band was formed in 2003 when the four original members were in high school and they were signed to Fueled By Ramen in 2006. Since then, Horst and bassist David Blaise have joined Phillips and vocalist Daniel Young.

The band has been on The Lucky Street Tour with Go Radio and a few other artists for about a month.

Their last tour, which was also their first headline gig, wrapped up in May 2010, and hitting the road for the first time in almost two years was a little overwhelming for them.

“We found out we were going on this tour three weeks before we started,” Horst said. “At first, I think we were all dreading it. We were all a little reserved and scared, but as soon as we left our driveways we realized that, ‘Oh yeah, this is great.’ This is what we love to do.”

While on tour, This Providence has been playing all four songs from the new EP and a few from their 2006 self-titled album as well as their 2009 album, “Who Are You Now?”

“We’ve had really positive response all around throughout this tour,” Horst said. “A lot of diehard fans come out because we’ve been off the road for two years.”

Teasers from a mini-documentary of the recording process will be released within the next few weeks and will be out in conjunction with their new EP.

“We wanted to be out there and show people we’re out — that we’re not a dead band,” Horst said. “This is us and it shows what we’re thinking in the moment — it just captures us in that time.”

The new lead single “Trouble” went on sale last week and “Brier” can be pre-ordered now.

This Providence will play at 7 p.m. Thursday at the House of Blues.