Professor awarded advertising honor

Larry Kelley is on the board of the Houston Advertising Federation and the American Association of Advertising Agencies. |  Courtesy of Larry Kelley

Larry Kelley is on the board of the Houston Advertising Federation and the American Association of Advertising Agencies. | Courtesy of Larry Kelley

A UH professor was named the Most Outstanding Advertising Educator at the District 10 American Advertising Federation’s National Student Advertising Competition on April 12.

Larry Kelley, who teaches upper-level advertising courses in the Jack J. Valenti School of Communication, has written seven books on the subject. In February, his students won seven gold and silver medals at the American Advertising Federation’s ADDY Awards.

“To be named this for the entire district was a huge honor and a surprise,” Kelley said. “It’s even more surprising since I have only been teaching for five years.”

The District 10 Conference was held in Shreveport, La. from April 11 to 13 and comprises colleges and universities in the Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana and Arkansas area. UH placed fifth out of 20 schools and were two points away from third place.

Kelley said that he was more focused on the team’s efforts than anything else, including his own standing in the competition.

“I felt the team had a good chance to win. As for myself, I really had no idea that I was being nominated for this award.”

Kelley said he believes someone may have nominated him and then sent his credentials to the District Governing body.

UH may have not won at District 10, but Kelley’s award makes him one of 17 educators being considered for the National Advertising Educator of the Year Award. The senior members of AAF will determine the winner June 2 in Austin.

“Winning this award is quite an honor,” Kelley said, “but having students win national awards either through competitions or through scholarship is what I am truly proud of.”

Kelley said this is a great time to get into advertising for those that are interested.

“With all the changes in communications, you really have an opportunity to re-write the rules,” he said. “Advertising is highly competitive. You have to make a commitment to strive to be the best. There is a fine line between good and great.”

Kelley is also on the board of the Houston Advertising Federation and the American Association of Advertising Agencies.