University throws Earth Day carnival

The Earth Day celebration featured recycle-friendly games, including a ring toss made with recycled bottles.  |  April Gutierrez/The Daily Cougar

The Earth Day celebration featured recycle-friendly games, including a ring toss made with recycled bottles. | April Gutierrez/The Daily Cougar

UH students and faculty celebrated the 42nd Earth Day with a carnival featuring games, cake and a weather balloon launch by the Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences on Thursday in Butler Plaza.

Several outside organizations and departments from UH, including Green Mountain Energy and the City of Houston attended the event to support Earth Day and Green UH.

“What I loved about all the organizations that helped us this year was they brought out their own game that was made out of recycled materials,” said Billy Garner, Marketing Coordinator for UH. “The City of Houston brought a blow up pool and had a boat race.”

GreenUH supplied four games for the carnival, including a ring toss made with recycled bottles.

“The Earth Day Carnival went very well. I am more pleased this year than I was last year because there was a lot more participation. We had more organizations come this year than we had in the past,” Garner said.

The Houston Police Department also attended, letting students try on bullet proof vests and other equipment.

“I was shocked to see how heavy and hot the vest was. It was cool to try it. I have a new respect for the police and the things they have to wear to protect our city,” Garner said.

The March of Dimes set up a fundraiser at the carnival, raising around $100 over three hours, Garner said.

“Overall the Earth Day Carnival was a success. I anticipate next year being even better,” Garner said.