Activities & Organizations

Islamic Awareness Week to start today, end Friday

The Muslim Student Association is hosting Islamic Awareness Week until Friday.

The event will feature live performances, refreshments, a film screening, games and a lecture.

Today’s event will include performances and henna, and will take place from 11:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the Philip Guthrie Hoffman breezeway.

Wednesday will feature a showcase of Islamic art and architecture, an observation of Islamic prayer, games and prizes from 11:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the PGH breezeway, followed by a screening of Jihad on Terror at 5:30 p.m. in the University Center Baltic Room.

Thursday will feature a multi-panel lecture titled “Before and After” on Islamic converts at 6 p.m. in the A.D. Bruce Religion Center, and Friday will be open congressional Muslim Friday prayer from 1:30 p.m. in the Religion Center.

• I don't hate all Muslims, nor do I think most Muslims wicked, but I do detest Islam through and through and consider all Muslims confused human beings. I have a right to think and say this in America because freedom exists here, which it doesn't wherever Islam is the majority religion of a nation, ony the degree of a dearth of freedom being the variable from one Islamic country to another.

Islam will always remain a death cult for a certain percentage of its followers when they don't get their way. About no other major faith can this be said.

Finally, Mohammed is one of the most despicable figures I have ever come across in history respecting the capacity of one person for malevolently influencing future history. Hitler and Marx are way up there too on the list. That's the kind of company I put Mohammed with. And you should see the eyes open when I narrate Mohammed's bloody and sexually perverted record to one who still knows very little about Mohammed. For anyone who has retained their common sense and moral intelligence, the more one knows about Islam and Mohammed the more that person is going to be disgusted by Islam and Mohammed. Count on it.

• Arafat, you can’t be further from the truth. What you may see as radical Islam is only concentrated in certain regions around the world. Secondly, most Muslims reject radical denominations and or sects and denounce their beliefs as they do not represent what Islam really is.

As far as the Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H) you don’t know him, you weren’t there during that time period, and what you state you know about him is nothing but a lie perpetuated by zealot Christian radicals who wanted to vilify him (basically they made up some BS).

• A week?
    .
    We should all be Islamic Aware 365 24/7.
    If someone starts yelling "Allahu Akbar", you should either start running … or shooting.

• Arafat: your comment is extremely ignorant. First of calling all Muslims "confused human beings " is outright islamophobic. You are the one who is geographically confused. There are many majority Muslim countries were people are allowed to practice whatever religion they choose whether it be Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, etc. Why don't you go out of your little paranoid Glenn Beck bubble and educate yourself on Islam. Just like in Christianity, there are many different interpretations of the Q'uran and many different points of view. Saying that Islam is a death cult iignores the fact that almost every religion has a small minority of people who see it as a death cult and see themselves as Holly warriors. Just look at those Christian anti-abortion activists who bomb abortion clinics and shoot abortion providers in the name of religion. Violence is a human trait that some humans have, they just happen to use religion to justify it. Painting every Muslim with the same brush only shows your ignorance, ethnocentrism, and xenophobia.

• Guillermo,
      Ignore Arafat.
      He is a bigot who appears only when someone says something nice about Muslims in the Daily Cougar.
      He comments on no other issues.
      He has been doing this for a couple of years now.
      He is irrelevant.