Tennis

Cougars wrap up season

The Cougars enjoyed their eighth-straight winning season under head coach John Severance. | Catherine Lara/The Daily Cougar

Last week at the C-USA tournament UH tennis earned a win against Southern Mississippi State 4-0, to advance to the quarter-finals but lost to No. 53 Tulane 4-0, which snapped their five match win streak and ended Houston’s season.

“I thought we came out and played Southern Miss very well, and against Tulane doubles was very crucial,” head coach John Severance said.

“At the end of the day we were leading the third, fourth, and fifth positions and felt we could (have) won those games … We were tied at the leading doubles points and just couldn’t pull out the win.”

The Cougars finished the regular season 13-7, (14-8 overall), which included four close 4-3 losses.

“Our schedule was a lot more demanding this year than last year. Other than the 4 losses to ranked teams, we lost to very good schools most of the time 4-3 and it would have been nice to grab a few more wins, but overall I’m proud of what this team did this year.” Severance said.

UH is also losing seniors Giorgia Pozzan and Laura Ring who were enormous pieces to Houston’s success the past few seasons

“A lot of credit to Giorgia. She came here and was a leader and really helped the team compete, and Laura made the best of her second opportunity and enjoyed her season here,” Severance said.

Pozzan leaves with a career singles and doubles record of 98-38 and ranks third in program history with her win percentage while Ring has a doubles record of 34-12 in three years with Houston.

“Next season I only look for UH tennis to get better, we have a good team and we’ll make some additions but we’ll have to wait and see,” Severance said about next season.