Hittin’ the big time

| Photo illustration by Joshua Siegel, photos by Brianna Leigh Morrison and Joshua Siegel

The University of Houston was the only school to finish in the top 25 and not have a player drafted —  six other Conference USA schools had players selected. The NFL Draft came and went quietly for the Cougars’ outgoing seniors.

In the immediate hours following the draft, that changed. Seven UH players were signed to NFL teams as free agents.

Quarterback Case Keenum and defensive lineman David Hunter signed with the Houston Texans. Receiver Patrick Edwards signed with the Detroit Lions. Linebackers Sammy Brown and Marcus McGraw signed with NFC West teams, the St. Louis Rams and Arizona Cardinals. Running backs Michael Hayes and Bryce Beall signed with the San Diego Chargers and the Dallas Cowboys, respectively.

Getting calls from teams was a relief after waiting out the draft.

“It was a weight off my shoulders,” Hayes said.

“It feels great just to get the call. It was a lot of worries gone. You really don’t know what’s going to happen and what team is going to call.”

Being drafted carries a certain prestige with it, but most of the players shrugged it off.

“I think it’s good for us just to pick the best situation possible for us to make the team,” Hayes said.

“We’ll go in with a chip on our shoulder to show that we’re those guys that should have been drafted, we just have to show that.”

Carrier on the mend

Receiver Tyron Carrier did not sign with a team yesterday, but he is ahead of schedule recovering from surgery for a torn ACL.

After tying the NCAA record for kickoff returns, Carrier should get some attention as a return specialist.

• This is awesome!!! So proud of our boys!!!!! Drafted or free agent, who cares?! THEY MADE IT!!! This means we gotta go to go to a hell of a lot more Texans games this year! Woooo!!! Go Case!!! And don't worry Carrier…a team will come calling soon!