Faculty & Staff

Interdepartmental decision-making body has spots up for election this week

Positions for the advisory board to the University president will be up for grabs in the Staff Council elections this week from Tuesday to Wednesday. The Staff Council, a collection of UH staff members from various, has members that sit on various committees and feeds advice and information to the head of UH.

Open positions include Academic Affairs, Administration and Finance, Office of the President, Research, Student Affairs, University Advancement and At-Large representatives.

Ronald Gonyea, president-elect for the Staff Council, said the elections run on a staggered schedule with only a third of the council seats being vied for every year. Gonyea said there are some flaws in the voting process.

“We want to change to a district model which will allow people from all segments to vote from their areas,” Gonyea said. “Some divisions are too large and not everyone in that division gets the same amount of representation. We want everyone to be represented and have their issues represented.”

While there are improvements to be made, the Staff Council provides important services to the University such as identifying and addressing issues that concern staff.

“We make staff council surveys asking what are the major concerns for the University as a whole,” Gonyea said. “This past year’s survey identified some issues with rallying so we instated something called Cougar Cudos to raise moral. People can recognize those who go above and beyond.

“I think a lot of staff underestimate the staff council’s importance. The University is so big and has so many aspects. It is a small city, and it takes everyone. The Staff Council has allows us to have a shared perspective. Less than a year ago, shirts were given out that said ‘Be one.’ That is what the student council is about.”

The elections will be held from 6 a.m. July 17 to 5 p.m. July 18 online at election.uh.edu. Additionally, there will be two public voting sites, one in the General Services Building room 268 and one in the first floor lobby of the Exekiel W. Cullen Building. Both locations will only be open from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. July 17. Voting is only open to benefits-eligible staff, and each voter must have employee identification.

More coverage will be available in the Daily Cougar’s print edition July 18.