Campus

Goodbye to the Y Building

The Y Building has been around since the 50s and was originally intended to be a temporary stucture.  |  Hendrick Rosemond/The Daily Cougar

The Y Building has been around since the 50s and was originally intended to be a temporary stucture. | Hendrick Rosemond/The Daily Cougar

Current and former engineering students must say farewell to the almost 70-year-old Y Building, as it is scheduled for demolition this summer.

The Y Building is part of the Cullen College of Engineering and was originally built as a temporary structure.

Instead, the building was employed by students as an engineering laboratory. Its condition has deteriorated through time.

Students in more recent years have used it as a study and socialization space between classes.

The dilapidated state of the building and the need for its demolition is apparent to recent Cullen graduate Jon Elizalde.

“When I first heard the Y building would be torn down, my first thought was, ‘Finally!’” Elizalde said.

“The last three years the building has been out of use and essentially taking up space, so I’m glad it is finally going to be taken down and something will be built in its place.”

Not all alumni are pleased about the decision. The structure brings back found memories for 1998 alumnus David Lane.

“(The) Y building is a resource like no other. It became a community where ASME, SWE, IEEE, and Eta Kappa Nu, among many other organizations hosted events, held study groups, even had a make-shift gym and lounge. I loved Y building,” Lane said, according to the Engineering Alumni Association’s website.

“It spoke volumes about where our priorities lie. The limited resources of the Cullen College of Engineering were focused on research and innovation — not on elaborate, beautiful complexes.”

There are no current plans to replace the Y, a reason for which some are apprehensive about its demolition.

“I’m hopeful that any decision for the space will provide future students with the same level of benefits I got from Y building,” Lane said.

“For me, my UH experience and Y building are inseparable.”

The structure is located in an area of campus where much construction is taking place.

Demolition is scheduled to be completed by the beginning of fall semester.

To celebrate the history of the Y and also to give everyone a chance to say one last goodbye, the College of Engineering will be holding a party. The event will take place from 5 to 9 p.m. on July 19 in the Cullen College of Engineering.

Those interested in attending can RSVP to [email protected] or call (713) 743-4714.

• I thought the Y building served as a hanger during WWII. At least that’s what someone told me. Can anyone comment on this?

Historical or not…memorable or not… this thing is definitely an eye sore.

I heard they were demolishing the dorms I stayed in, The Quads. It’s old yes, but it’s going to be sad to see that go. Classic styled buildings are running scarce on campus.