GOP tenet fails to evolve with America

After watching the Republican and Democratic national conventions, it has become increasingly clear the Republican creed is growing stale. Although they would never publicly admit it, it is obvious to most onlookers that GOP politicians harbor contempt for anyone or anything that does not fit their Norman Rockwell vision of the way America should be.

Currently, they are not as vocal nor as prone to verbal gaffes as they were during the nomination process. Yet we all know Republicans are tough on topics such as immigration, gay rights, abortion and even contraception. Their representatives have demonstrated an ignorance of Islam and a mistrust of younger Americans. This is not to say they are right or wrong, or that these are even their true beliefs, however, the fact is that this is how they are perceived which is going to become more and more of a liability as time goes on.

According to the 2010 census, America is in the process of a major demographic shift. Among the youngest Americans tallied, white children were a minority for the first time since the United States began counting its citizens in 1790.

At this point in our history, the U.S. has truly become the metaphorical melting pot. If these demographic trends grow larger and more pronounced, the Democrats should possess an advantage extremely difficult to overcome. Therefore, the GOP’s ability to remain competitive in future elections will depend heavily on the extent to which they are able to diversify and tap in to some historically democratic voting blocs.

Consider the Gallup Poll survey conducted earlier this year in which 40 percent of Americans labeled themselves as conservative, compared to 35 percent moderate and a mere 21 percent liberal. When you take such information into account, it is hard to deny that Republicans are hindering themselves. They should dominate American politics, but instead they shoot themselves in the foot by offending entire populations. That sort of behavior scares away moderates and is a major reason why they are currently on the outside looking in. They say they will fix America, but they must first fix themselves by learning to embrace the American populace for what it is.

Matt Story is a kinesiology senior and may be reached at [email protected].