Events

Faculty, students celebrate new construction with free prizes

The new Stadium Parking Garage added 2,400 additional parking spots to campus. Rebecca/The Daily Cougar

The new Stadium Parking Garage added 2,400 additional parking spots to campus. Rebecca Stearns/The Daily Cougar

The Stadium Parking Garage, located at the intersection of Cullen Boulevard and Entrance 14, celebrated its grand opening in front of the in-house UH Fan Shop, Cougar Xpress and Taco Cabana on Wednesday afternoon.

The parking garage was built to facilitate 2,400 vehicles and opened in the summer.

As red and white balloons floated above at the celebration, students passing by found themselves a part of the two-hour celebration and were able to take advantage of the UH Fan Shop’s slashed prices.

Despite the stores having been open for almost a month now, Executive Store Manager Felix Robinson saw the grand opening as an opportunity for students to become familiar with the newly installed venders.

“It’s really exciting to be a part of the grand opening,” Robinson said. “We made the move to give students, faculty and staff 25 percent off on all items, which gives us a great promotion.”

The UH Administration and Finance and UH Dining Services had their tables set up outside Taco Cabana, and Amber Arguijo, the marketing manager for Dining Services, and her assistants urged students to get involved in their festivities.

In exchange, students were able to win coffee mugs, T-shirts and other prizes.

UScholar sophomore Amanda Ray thoroughly enjoyed how the celebration was displayed.

“I thought it was pretty nice. I like how events like this lets us know when something new is open or when something exciting is happening,” Ray said.

Prince Ali, who stayed throughout the entire event, said he wanted to contribute.

“I wish I could have been in on the action,” Ali said. “It definitely makes me want to volunteer and be a part of what they have going on.”