Video Games

Namco’s fighting franchise doubles up

TTT2 is now available for XBOX 360 and PS3. | Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

While there’s a vast number of fighting games on the market — some with characters shooting fireballs out of their hands and others hosting brawls inside a high school — Namco’s most beloved fighting franchise always held their own record for maintaining their level of style and gameplay.

As a sequel to the 1999 title that boomed in the arcades around the country, Tekken Tag Tournament 2 goes back to double-team roots. Players can expect new tag team possibilities and intricate fighting mechanics that require practice to master.

TTT2 welcomes players to a 50-character roster, grand scale stages, and a marvelous in-game soundtrack that is slightly reminiscent to Tekken 3.

Fluid character animations and graphics remain flawless. Namco also adds a nice touch with character interaction and realistic stage environments. In some stages, characters fighting in the rain will look wet and if they land in the mud or onto the dirty, dusty pavement, players can expect their fighters looking grimy throughout the round.

Players must use essential launching and bound attacks followed by tag combos if they want to walk away with a victory.

With the press of the tag button, players can switch between the two characters of the team at any time. The “Tag Assault” option allows for both team members to be on the same screen by pressing and holding down the tag button. This action allows for the incoming tagged fighter to automatically execute a launching attack to the opponent, opening up the door for players to deliver a punishing attack.

If all this sounds confusing, the “Fight Lab” mode serves as a very goofy, yet educational tutorial. Throughout five levels, players will take the role of Combot, a mechanical fighting machine capable of mimicking the other fighters’ move set. This mode will teach new players fundamental fighting mechanics and the importance of performing and strategizing the tag system.

Despite the help that “Fight Lab” brings, dedicated players will likely spend most of their time using the practice mode to hone their skills considering the many options that can be set.

Arcade mode, time attack mode, survival, and ghost battle are great ways to jump right into the action. Up to four players can battle it out in versus mode, making this title a great party game as well as a great co-op experience.

TTT2 is loaded with extra content. Players will be able to customize their favorite characters after earning prize money in Ghost mode. Namco’s “World Tekken Federation” website helps the gaming community find partners and check their stats.

TTT2 is a fun game, but much of the fighting mechanics may prove to be a breaking point for newer players. The overall showcase of presentation and content is solid and players who urge to reach a tournament level of gameplay should make the practice mode their best friend.