Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Faculty & Staff

UH Law schools faculty, students

Attendees were welcomed by faculty, students and volunteers from the UH Law Center. | Clara King/The Daily Cougar

Around 350 Houstonians braved the rain Saturday to attend classes at the semiannual People’s Law School event in the UH Law Center.

Founded by “The People’s Lawyer,” UH Associate Dean Richard Alderman, the event was hosted with help from judges, attorneys, UH law faculty members and law students — all volunteers.

“I began the Center for Consumer Law 30 years ago,” Alderman said. “Its primary goal has always been to use the resources of the Law Center to assist the community.”

Upon registration, attendees chose three classes to attend, each lasting an hour. Among the classes offered were consumer law, basic insurance law, employment law, health insurance law, bankruptcy, wills, family law, business law and landlord or tenant law.

Alderman described the turnout as a success, considering the dreary start to the day. The Law School will continue its commitment to providing this service and many more to the community in the future.

“Many local attorneys, judges and law professors enjoy the opportunity to teach in the People’s Law School,” Alderman said. “They recognize the valuable public service it performs.”

[email protected] dailycougar.com

Tags: , , , ,

Does the construction along Spur 5, which will eventually impact the U.S. 59 north and south on-ramps from I-45, affect your commute to class?

• Yes, my commute will be dramatically different and much longer (36%, 38 Votes)
    • My commute will be slightly impacted, but it's not too much of a nuisance (29%, 31 Votes)
    • I don't commute/ I never use I-45 or Spur 5 (23%, 24 Votes)
    • I commute but had no idea about the construction (12%, 13 Votes)

Total Voters: 106