Thursday, May 19, 2022

Late nights in the library

Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Which of the following behaviors bothers you more, if at all?

• Both equally bother me (35%, 73 Votes)
  • Students smoking outside of designated smoking areas (31%, 65 Votes)
  • Neither bother me (24%, 50 Votes)
  • Students smoking e-cigarettes indoors (9%, 19 Votes)

Total Voters: 207

It would make sense for a Tier One university to have Tier One resources. A university’s library is vital to its student body. It’s the primary location for students to finish homework, study, eat, procrastinate and exist silently in a miniature carrel for the duration of the afternoon. But despite its indispensability, even the most important building on campus can only be relied on so much.

M.D. Anderson Memorial Library’s shortcoming is its hours. It would be one thing if, as the institutional library of a Carnegie-certified research university, it didn’t have the capital to support its students on such a large scale. If we were to assume the money — which is out there — was being redirected toward the students in a more beneficial manner, then there’d be no grounds for an argument. There’s not many environments more beneficial to students than the library. If there were, it would make complete sense to support it — no questions asked.

But it doesn’t. The library’s closed hours at night carry a monumental amount of weight.

Incoming students — or at least the ones the University hopes to attract — take this sort of thing into consideration. That’s not even to speak of the University’s students, all of whom would benefit immensely from extended library hours.

It would also serve as a means of student scholarship. The amount of work-study opportunities on campus might be numerous, but it’s still a finite number. Not everyone that applies for one receives it, and not everyone that receives it gets enough. In extending M.D. Anderson’s hours into the morning, the University would be paving a road for even more students than it already claims to. Even if it were to only aid a handful, it would still serve more.

On a college campus, what is more important than the success of the students? It wasn’t too long ago that our president made her rounds regarding fifth-year graduates. The school and its recruiting press have made it apparent this is no longer good for public relations. If it were some sort of stadium renovation, perhaps the funds would’ve already been pulled from student fees. But it’s the library. And that, apparently, isn’t as important.

Crises happen. Cramming all night for a test the next day is by no means rare among college students, and it isn’t outlandish to expect M.D. Anderson to offer a place to study when students need it. If the University officials are serious about pushing students to the best of their abilities, the library will need to be open at all hours.

Bryan Washington is a sociology and creative writing sophomore and may be reached at [email protected]

Tags:

• COVID-19