Women's Basketball

UH opens practice with plenty of new faces

Head coach Todd Buchanan celebrates with his team as he attempts to fire them up during a time-out against SMU last season.| File photo/The Daily Cougar

Todd Buchanan, head coach of the UH women’s basketball team, said he was happy swap his casual clothes for some basketball shorts and get back to practice.

“It feels wonderful. This is what we live for. This is what we do. It’s not just our livelihood; it’s our heart,” Buchanan said.

The Cougars opened practice Tuesday with a new crop of players, adding nine new players to the team. The class features six high school players, two junior college transfers and an international prospect.  Gone are veterans Roxana Button and Michelle White, the only healthy seniors last season.

Assistant coach and recruiting coordinator Ravon Justice said the team is meshing well together.

“There’s a lot of positivity; a lot of energy. They’re working hard, and they’re doing a lot of talking because communication is big in basketball,” Justice said. “They’re fitting in. Chemistry is big. In the summer when we weren’t able to have practice, they were able to do their strength and conditioning and a couple hours of skill work. That chemistry is carrying them over.”

Redshirt senior guard Porsche Landry will be returning to the court after missing most of last season due to injury. Through three games, Landry was on pace to average 22 points, 5 rebounds and 3 assists a game.

Buchanan said he was glad to have his floor general back on the court.

“We were like the Indianapolis Colts of old when they lost Peyton Manning. They faltered,” Buchanan said. “When we lost (Landry) we faltered. The words can’t describe how excited I am to have her back.”

Landry felt good getting back on the court and is retaking the role of leadership that her position demands.

“Personally, I feel that since my freshman year, I’ve taken over a leadership role. I know since I’m a point guard, I’m a general on the floor,” Landry said.

Buchanan said he is looking forward to opening the season Nov. 9 at Mississippi State.

“This is obviously what I’ve done for the past 24 years,” Buchanan said. “I’m blessed to be able to do what I love, not many people in the world can say that when they wake up.”