Cherry on top for Cougar Movers

More than 300 volunteers, residential assistants and staff members who helped with the move-in process at the beginning of the semester were rewarded with an ice-cream social Thursday in the Houston Room at the University Center.

“The backbone of the move-in process was the volunteers. We have much love for them,” said Don Yackley, executive director of Student Housing and Residential Life.

“In the past, move-in has been plagued with long lines and wait lines. We re-imagined the process so that students moved-in more effectively and quickly.”

With the volunteers’ help, the Student Housing and Residential Life team moved in more than 4,000 students and received excellent feedback from parents and returning students, which wasn’t the case in previous years.

Volunteers like public relations senior Joey Tran and a housing staff member said this year was smoother than last because they were not understaffed — the volunteers also made a big difference.

“We really, really appreciate the volunteers. They took the job seriously. They not only helped but communicated with the freshmen,” Tran said.

“This year was such a success, so next year we will have more sponsors and more volunteers.”

Another volunteer, bio-engineering sophomore Zuan-Fu Lim, felt the social was a good way for UH to say thank you.

“It’s good to know that the University still appreciates volunteers. It’s really thoughtful of (UH),” Lim said.

Add Comment