Soccer

Cougars win double throughout weekend

The Cougars had their first Conference USA win Friday in the 2-1 match in Alabama against UAB and their second win two days later against Memphis, 2-0.

“It was a tremendous weekend,” said head coach Chris Pfau in a press release. “This team showed a lot of character to get two wins on the road. They played for each other and when you do that, good things will happen.”

UAB was the first to get on the scoreboard with a rebound shot from midfielder Paige Hanks during the 63rd minute. A goal from UH sophomore forward Alexis Weaver during the 81st minute tied the game 1-1. Eight minutes later, sophomore forward Kelsey Zamora secured a Cougar win by sinking the ball in a cross pass from senior forward Katelyn Rhodes.

Sunday featured a scoreless first half. Despite out-shooting the Cougars by 12 throughout the game, the only goal of the night came from a 10-yard kick by Rhodes during the 53rd minute.

“I am so proud of each player and have loved the journey,” Pfau said. “This is a great team to be around and it will be a fun couple of weeks.”

After two road wins the Cougars have improved in Conference standings, putting them back on track to making the C-USA tournament.

“I believe the NCAA tournament, for the first year ever in UH soccer history, is possible this year,” Rhodes said. “At least one or two rounds in the NCAA tournament is the expectation I have.”

The Cougars improved to 6-6-3 in season and 2-2-3 in Conference. They face two home games against Colorado College at 7 p.m. Friday, and No. 8, UTEP, at 1 p.m. Sunday.

Two games will follow before the season’s conclusion. The first will be against crosstown rival and current standings leader Rice at 7 p.m. Oct. 26 at Robertson Stadium, following the match against Southern Mississippi Oct. 28 in Hattiesburg, Miss.

Add Comment