Two Cougars grab C-USA awards

Phillip Steward poses after practice last week | Rebekah Stearns/The Daily Cougar

After playing a pivotal role in the Cougars’ 39-17 win over UAB on Saturday, seniors kicker Matt Hogan and linebacker Phillip Steward received Conference USA recognition Monday.

Hogan set a C-USA record with six field goals including a 52-yarder, a career long, and was named the conference’s special team player of the week. The Keller native ranks third nationally with an average of 2.17 field goals per game and tenth nationally with an average of 10.9 points per game.

“Matt Hogan is really special to this team,” said head coach Tony Levine. “I’ve been around some good kickers, and mentally he’s as good as anyone in the country.”

On defense, Steward recorded 13 tackles and was named C-USA co-defensive player of the week.

“Our linebackers are playing well,” Levine said. “Defensive coordinator Jamie Bryant did a good job of picking and choosing which plays to blitz. On almost every down he mixed it and disguised it well.”

Steward leads the conference with 12 tackles per game and 2.1 tackles for loss per game; those numbers rank fifth and sixth nationally respectively. Steward also recorded his first interception of the season after leading all linebackers nationally with six picks.