Music

Concert review: Grammer delights students with campus concert

Pop singer Andy Grammer was honored with the “Most Innovative Video” award for “Keep Your Head Up” at the 2011 MTV O Music Awards. | Rebekah Stearns/The Daily Cougar

Pop singer Andy Grammer was honored with the Most Innovative Video award for “Keep Your Head Up” at the 2011 MTV O Music Awards. | Rebekah Stearns/The Daily Cougar

An enthusiastic audience sang along with pop artists South Jordan and Andy Grammer in a fantastic concert Friday at the E. Cullen Performance Hall.

The Student Program Board deserves infinite praises for inviting the artists to perform at UH — both acts put on a show that was everything a concert should be.

Fresh off his June 2011 self-titled debut album, released in, Grammer has been on a college tour, rocking out at various cities.

His radio singles “Keep Your Head Up,” “Fine By Me” and the latest, “Miss Me,” have made him a respected pop artist.

Before Grammer and his band stole the show, the audience was treated to a performance by South Jordan.

The  pop-rock act that recalled the style of a young Maroon 5.

South Jordan sported tightly tailored suits, vests and button-up shirts, and songs “Love Like Suicide” and “Naked” emitted a bubbly sound that catered to the ladies in attendance.

There were a few technical problems during the performance, but these small bugs didn’t take away the energy of the set.

Grammer was in tip-top shape as he and his band jolted onto the stage.

Clad in a graphic T-shirt, dark jacket and blue jeans, the MTV O Music Awards winner wonderfully executed a feel-good presence on stage.

The pop artist grabbed the audience on a personal level as he talked about his street performances and joked about trying to understand the “Coog’s House!” chant.

Grammer performed notable tracks from his debut, such as “Biggest Man in Los Angles” and “Ladies,” a song dedicated to his mother.

He made sure that students got a whiff of the band’s talent with vocal harmonies and instrumental solos by the electric guitarist, drummer and pianist during “Lunatic.”

Grammer got intimate with the crowd while performing “Slow.” This was the highlight of the evening as he walked out into the crowd, stood on seats and motivated the audience to sing along with their hands into the air.

In the later half of the show, cover performances of Snow Patrol’s “Chasing Cars,” Rihanna’s “We Found Love” and Gym Class Heroes’ “Studio Hearts” were mixed in with Grammer’s radio hits.

Because of Grammer’s charisma, the event was a giant step up compared to last year’s feature of Gym Class Heroes. South Jordan and Grammer provided a refreshing take on a college concert experience.

Add Comment