Student Government

SGA President talks parking problems, next year solutions

UH Student Government Association President Cedric Bandoh addressed the future of parking across campus during the first biweekly press conference on Thursday in the Athletics/Alumni Center.

“The major problem that we have with parking, besides the garages and the costs, is when people are using them,” Bandoh said.

Despite the construction going on around campus, Bandoh said the University has enough parking spaces for students and staff. However, many students on campus take classes around the same time, which causes daily parking nightmares.

“We have a timing issue,” Bandoh said.

As soon as next semester, students will see earlier classes and more evening and Friday classes offered for enrollment as part of the short-term plan UH has implemented.

Although stadium construction will close some lots, the Welcome Center parking garage will be open to help ease chaos. Even though more spaces have been created, Bandoh said the new 1A-parking garage will be the last one for the University due to the high costs associated with the parking pass alone.

University Parking and Transportation is also improving surface lots, Bandoh said. Restriping them to fit more cars is one of the solutions.

While parking seems like a never-ending problem, Bandoh said it is expected to improve in Fall 2013, when Cougar Village II, Cougar Place II and the Health and Biomedical Sciences Center will be completed, creating hundreds of additional parking spaces.

“Just looking at the projections this year is probably going to be the toughest. Next year should be better,” Bandoh said.

[email protected].