Men's Basketball

Hardwood Tipoff unveils squads, offers two chances to win $10,000

The 2012-2013 UH men’s basketball team returns five letterman, including three starters, while adding one of the greatest recruiting classes in program history to what is expected to be an exciting season.  |  Photo courtesy of UH Athletics

The 2012-2013 UH men’s basketball team returns five letterman, including three starters, while adding one of the greatest recruiting classes in program history to what is expected to be an exciting season. | Photo courtesy of UH Athletics

With the start of the UH basketball season nearing for both the men’s and women’s teams, fans will have their first opportunity to check out both squads during the Houston Hardwood Tipoff inside the Athletics/Alumni Center tonight at 6 p.m.

Admission to the event is free and Houston Hardwood Tip-Off shirts will be available, while supplies last.

The two squads will hold a variety of competitions including a three-point shootout and a slam-dunk contest.

Two current UH students will also have a chance to win $10,000 by making a half-court shot.

Men’s basketball coach James Dickey and women’s head coach Todd Buchanan will introduce their teams and talk about what the upcoming season has to offer.

The Cougars men’s program takes the court on Nov. 6 at 7 p.m. at Hofheinz Pavilion against Concordia while the women open up their season on the road Nov. 9 against Mississippi State.

The men’s program recruited a class ranked by three publications in the top 25. The Cougars now boast three members of ESPNU’s top 100 class.

National recruit Danuel House joins 2012 Conference USA All-Freshman Team members TaShawn Thomas and Joseph Young.

On the women’s side, the Cougars will be led by redshirt senior point guard Porsche Landry who suffered a season-ending injury in the third game of last season.

The team will also return junior Mae Woods and sophomore Terran Alford who were starters last season.