Season filled with personnel swaps

Sophomore center Bryce Redman (right) has been one of several players switching around for the Cougars. These changes can be credited both to injury as well as productivity.  |  Rebekah Stearns/The Daily Cougar

Sophomore center Bryce Redman (right) has been one of several players switching around for the Cougars. These changes can be credited both to injury as well as productivity. | Rebekah Stearns/The Daily Cougar

With 24 days remaining in the football season, the UH football program has seen many changes at positions that once seemed certain.

At center, change has occurred for both performance and injury reasons. Redshirt junior center Kevin Forsch and redshirt sophomore center Bryce Redman have traded the spot since the second game of the year against Louisiana Tech when Forsch suffered an injury and Redman stepped in.

“We re-evaluated the position and felt like as a staff that Bryce Redman was playing a little bit better in the center position,” said head coach Tony Levine. “Against Rice, we had three false starts attributed to Redman, so we took Redman out and put Kevin Forsch back in. The next week we felt like we got the problem fixed with the false starts and went back to Redman.”

Junior receiver Shane Ros has also become a household name as a walk-on wide receiver and has shown Levine how valuable of an asset he is to the team.

“He’s been starting for us and was the offensive valuable player of the game against North Texas,” Levine said. “This past game against UTEP he started for us — he might be our best special teams player and has a tremendous role on our offense as well.”

With injured players trying to make their comebacks, like senior defensive lineman Lloyd Allen from Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College, the load is lightening a bit. Tuesday will be the only full-contact practice of the week.

“The guys are banged up, and the pounding on their bodies is taking its toll a little bit,” Levine said. “We’ll only be practicing in pads once a week for the rest of the season.”

• Give it a rest Jr., we got bigger areas to fix than QB namely def. and spl. tms. It will be a while before another Case comes along but Piland is as good or better a QBs than we had on the SWC championship teams.