Events

Students dress up for Haunted Penthouse on campus

The fourth annual OctoberFest, a two-day event on campus, hosted the Haunted Penthouse event at the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center on Wednesday evening. The Halloween festivity strived to break the attendance record of more than 700 students last year.  | Bethel Glumac/The Daily Cougar

The fourth annual OctoberFest, a two-day event on campus, hosted the Haunted Penthouse event on Wednesday evening at the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center. The Halloween festivity strived to break the attendance record of more than 700 students last year. | Bethel Glumac/The Daily Cougar

The blood was pumping on Halloween at the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center as hundreds of students, dressed in costumes, waited in line to travel through the Haunted Penthouse and encouraged to give the gift of life and donate blood, afterward.

“This event gives the students something free they can come and do, especially on campus,” said Rachel O’Mara, program coordinator of the department of Campus Recreation.

The Penthouse was part of the fourth annual University Center OctoberFest week — organized by the University Centers and other departments around campus.

“Essentially what we (did) this year with the Haunted Penthouse — we kind of changed it up and had all the different program areas within Campus Rec have their students actually take a section of it and kind of create their section,” O’Mara said.

“It actually worked out great because we have had huge participation in our staff who have been really, really involved which has been awesome.”

Students took advantage of the Halloween bash at the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center by remaining on campus until the evening hours on Wednesday to collect free candy and hang out with friends. | Bethel Glumac/The Daily Cougar

Students waited patiently — and some impatiently — for their turn to take the elevator up to the third floor where the Penthouse was, enjoying candy and the opportunity to take a photograph before they entered. However, students with canned food items for donation were offered to cut the line.

“It’s been a huge turnout for everybody,” O’Mara said. “They’re coming in costumes where last year we didn’t have as many people in costumes. Last year we had 700 students and this year we were pushing for 1,000.”

Evil clowns, rabbits and spirits lurked around the area as attendees traveled through various sections of the Penthouse.

The event, which consisted of an entire staff of students, had others screaming during the walk through.

As students walked back down the stairs following their spooky time, they were led to a stand that had flyers of upcoming events and information of programs that the Wellness Center offers.

“I come to the rec all the time, but I had no idea there was a third floor,” said mechanical engineering junior Waseem Riche.

“It’s also cool that I brought some friends today that have never been to the rec so that exposure must be good for the center.”