Hayden’s injury ‘more associated with high speed motor vehicle’ accidents

Senior defensive back D.J. Hayden was taken to Memorial Hermann Hospital Tuesday afternoon after colliding with a teammate in practice and, according to University of Houston Head Team Physician Dr. Walter Lowe, was required immediate surgery for a tear of the inferior vena cava, the large vein that carries blood from the lower half of the body back to the heart.

“This injury has never been seen or reported in association with a football injury and is more associated with high speed motor vehicle injuries,” Lowe said in a statement. “The type of injury D.J. had is 95 percent fatal in the field and we are all very thankful for the coordinate response from the University of Houston trainers, EMS paramedics, the trauma team at Memorial Hermann and operating surgeon Dr. John Holcomb.”

Hayden is currently alert and in stable yet critical condition in Memorial Hermann ICU unit.

“We are very fortunate to have some of the nation’s top physicians and medical facilities just minutes away from our campus and I would like to extend our appreciation for their efforts on Tuesday evening,” head coach Tony Levine said. “We look forward to supporting D.J. on his road to recovery.”

Fans wishing to send well-wishes to Hayden are encouraged to do so at http://www.facebook.com/houstonathletics or via e-mail at [email protected]