Events

Parade keeps Houston red

The 2012 Homecoming Court rode in the annual fall parade Saturday before the UH vs. Tulsa game. The event invited alumni and studentsout to wear red and celebrate their University along Cullen Boulevard. | Hannah Laamoumi/The Daily Cougar

The 2012 Homecoming court rode in the annual fall parade Saturday before the UH vs. Tulsa game. The event invited alumni and students out to wear red and celebrate their University along Cullen Boulevard. | Hannah Laamoumi/The Daily Cougar

The Homecoming parade kick-started the final day of a week of festivities that brought out fans to support campus organizations as they made their way around Robertson Stadium on Saturday afternoon riding decorated floats.

The annual parade is part of a tradition that brings out UH alumni and students.

“Keep Houston Red” was the theme and goal of this year’s parade and the tissue-paper covered floats displayed each organizations’ interpretation of the theme.

Trucks were used to pull them along as they blasted music and carried group members and their homecoming-themed creations.

“It’s great to see UH keeping the tradition alive and seeing so many people coming out to watch the parade and cheer on the team,” said construction management junior Stephen Montalvo. “We are all out here striving to keep Houston red in our own ways.”

| Hannah Laamoumi/The Daily Cougar

Students and staff gathered alongside Cullen Boulevard to witness floats and the UH Spirit of Houston Band. | Hannah Laamoumi/The Daily Cougar

Fans lined the streets around the stadium to see the floats that depicted common sights on campus and Houston landmarks. Various floats threw prizes to the onlookers including koozies and miniature footballs.

The Homecoming court kept the tradition alive as they took the lead in the parade and waved to passing fans and the UH Frontiersmen followed after with a display of large UH and Texas flags. They were accompanied by loud sirens that signaled the start of the parade.

“I’m so proud to have UH alumni come out with their families to support their Cougars,” said Cyndi Diaz, a float-rider and kinesiology senior. “This is what I have to look forward to after graduation, getting to return to UH and giving back to the school that gave so much to me.”

Apart from the student tailgating tents that ran along Cullen Boulevard, areas for alumni were set up facing Scott Street — where various catering events provided food and entertainment for the crowd leading up to the football game.

Throughout the week, many events had been arranged that allowed organizations to enter and compete in to have the chance to win the Spirit Cup Competition that announced the winner after the parade.

The events included the Cooglympics, Paint Shasta, a T-shirt design competition, Kick-Off Pep Rally and  Strut Your Stuff, in addition to the parade.

When the points were totaled, the Kappa Sigma Fraternity and Chi Omega Fraternity were revealed as the winners of the Spirit Cup Competition.

“(Keep Houston Red) is a celebration of the University of Houston and its impact on the ever-growing and beautiful City of Houston,” said the 2012 Homecoming Board. “We encourage participants to focus on Houston and the University’s culture, pride and traditions.”