Events

Homecoming Board hopes to foster student involvment

In an effort to increase school spirit among students during Homecoming week, the Homecoming Board hosted Block Party — an event that focused on a variety of activities for students to take part in that included caricatures, face painting and games Thursday at Lynn Eusan Park.

“UH is traditionally a commuter school so our goal is to try to bring the events to them and get everyone involved as much as possible,” said Jacob Ortiz, director of productions on the Homecoming Board.

“Most students are pretty stressed around this time of year because of assignments and tests so this is a good opportunity to just relax and interact with fellow Coogs.”

Free food and drinks were provided, and students were encouraged to consume as much as they wanted. There were also many times throughout the party where plastic cups, drawstring backpacks and T-shirts were handed out.

It initially attracted only a few dozen attendees at the beginning, but it eventually more than 100 people participated.

Students felt the party was a great way for them to reconnect with campus happenings.

“I really like what the Homecoming Board did here,” said mathematics junior Pablo Castro. “As long as they keep providing the food and free stuff, I see no reason why this can’t become bigger in the future. Students here want more traditions in place to provide a more authentic college experience.”

Outside organizations such as Freebirds World Burrito and Whataburger had tables set up and dished out snacks, coupons and other promotional items to students.

Hot 95.7 radio station was also on hand to provide music while hosting an ice cream eating contest.

Many students thoroughly enjoyed the party and all it had to offer. But some, like chemical engineering junior Collin Watson, thought it could have been promoted better despite its success.

“I don’t think it’s a lack of work that goes into the promoting. It’s just that I asked a lot of friends if they would be attending this function, and many didn’t even know what function I was talking about,” Watson said.

The Homecoming Board hopes to continue the Block Party tradition next year and receive a bigger response.

“Everyone involved in this worked real hard into making sure students had fun, and I hope the students feel more a part of the University,” Ortiz said. “It’s our job to show the freshmen, sophomores and younger students how amazing our University really is and show them that we have school spirit.”