Campus

Loop Road to make new dorm more accessible

The project is supposed to increase accessibility to the new Cougar Place.  |  Bethel Glumac/The Daily Cougar

The project is supposed to increase accessibility to the new Cougar Place. | Bethel Glumac/The Daily Cougar

The first phase of the four-phase Loop Road project, a construction project that will extend Cougar Place across Cullen Boulevard and to Old Wheeler, has begun.

Parking Lot 13A, to the northeast of Cougar Place, and the area’s traffic signal will be upgraded as well.

“The Loop Road improves campus circulation by extending Cougar Place and eliminating the offset drive into Lot 13A; by-passing the Metro rail line on Wheeler; and providing additional handicap parking and gated parking for surrounding buildings,” said senior project manager Margaret Manley.

“This allows UH shuttle busses and other traffic to circulate around the campus more efficiently, avoiding the Metro train tracks on Wheeler and the traffic signal at the intersection of Wheeler and Cullen.”

For the first phase, temporary fencing was installed beginning on Oct. 30 around the proposed expansion area. Construction, provided for the University by SpawGlass, as part of the Cougar Woods Dining Hall project, will take place throughout the next three months in the area.

“The project also eliminates the offset driveway into Lot 13A off Cullen which will now be accessed off Cougar Place and controlled by the existing traffic signal, which is being upgraded to current City of Houston standards for improved vehicular and pedestrian safety,” Manly said.

The expansion will also create more vehicular access and parking for the Bruce Religion Center, the Quads, Cougar Woods Dining Hall and Cougar Place Housing, which may help to alleviate the loss of parking at the University caused the demolition of Robertson Stadium and the construction of the new stadium.

The road is expected to open in January or February 2013.