Activities & Organizations

Commuter Club encourages growth

Students load the bus at the PGH circle drive. The commuter club pays 25 percent of the cost for members to ride the Metro.  |  Hannah Laamoumi/The Daily Cougar

Students load the bus at the PGH circle drive. The commuter club pays 25 percent of the cost for members to ride the Metro. | Hannah Laamoumi/The Daily Cougar

Parking and Transportation Services and the Transportation Parking Advisory Committee have teamed up to develop a program called the Commuter Club, for the UH community.

The Commuter Club is a program designed to reduce the demand for parking on campus and to support UH’s efforts to become an environmentally clean campus, said Parking and Transportation Services marketing coordinator Ed Bell.

“The program contributes to the green initiatives on campus by helping to reduce emissions, by decreasing the number of vehicles traveling to and from campus,” Bell said.

The club offers student, faculty and staff a variety of commuter options that includes paying 25 percent of the cost for members to ride Metro.

It also offers carpooling, vanpooling, bicycling and walking services.

The committee would like to have at least 250 members — five percent of faculty and staff on campus — but does not have a specific deadline of obtaining a certain number of memberships.

As of the end of October, club membership reached 40 members, said Bell.

“I wasn’t aware of the program until now,” said early education junior Ashley Elliot. “I think the idea is a great opportunity for students, especially with gas prices being so high. Students can save more money for other expenses.”

Last year, the PTS and TPAC worked to create the Commuter Club for several months. The biggest obstacle that the two face is changing the personal habits and perceptions of alternative transportation, Bell said.

PTS and TPAC continue to monitor the growth and success of the program.

“I would like to see increased support from departments and establish good working relationships to encourage participation by their employees,” Bell said.

After signing up, students will receive a Metro Q-card and will be able to use it within 48-hours. It is automatically re-loaded to a certain amount by Metro once a month.

Student can sign up by emailing Ed Bell at [email protected] or calling him at 832-842-5760.