Academics & Research

UH mathematician earns top honor

Mathematics professor Roland Glowinski has recently been selected as a fellow in the American Mathematical Society for the 2013 inaugural year.
AMS members are distinguished from a class of 1,119 fellows from more than 600 institutions around the world. Glowinski works in a branch of mathematics that solves life problems, and is typically used in the science, engineering, medical and business industries.
“The criteria for this promotion of AMS Fellows is to have been the recipient of a prize awarded by the American Mathematical Society or to have been an invited speaker at either the International Congress of Mathematicians or the International Conference on Industrial and Applied Mathematics,” Glowinski said.
Glowinski was an invited speaker at ICM 1983 in Warsaw, Poland and at ICIAM 2007 in Zurich, Switzerland.
“I will say that I was lucky to work in the area of Computational and Applied Mathematics because it combines advanced mathematical techniques and very exciting applications from Science and Engineering,” Glowinski said.
“I never regretted taking this orientation and I strongly advise students with the right scientific abilities to make the same choice.”
According to assistant professor in mathematics, Annalisa Quaini,  Glowinski developed methods throughout his career as a mathematician that have recognized him as an outstanding engineer.
“It is well-known that professor Glowinski is a world’s leader in his field,” Quaini said. “He has worked extensively on mathematical modeling and simulation, numerical analysis, computational fluid dynamics, computational mechanics, optimization and controllability of systems and their applications in engineering and biomedical sciences.”
Not only do his colleagues recognize his achievements, but so do his superiors, said Jeff Morgan, Department of Mathematics chair.
He is well-known in the medical community for relating mathematical and computational methods to the design of a new class of heart valves, said Morgan.

“The Department of Mathematics is proud of Roland’s continued accolades. He is one of several distinguished professors who continue to bring honor to our department and the university at large,” Morgan said.

“As one of the world’s foremost computational scientists, he has played a major role in the development of our department, as well as the development of computational sciences on the UH campus.”

Glowinski has authored or co-authored more than 300 research articles, served as editor for more than 20 scientific reviews and anthologies, and has authored seven books.