Administration

Board of Regents approves three-year contract for Khator

Renu Khator

https://www.youtube.com/embed/7-1vxgm0bvw

President and Chancellor Renu Khator, the only female chancellor in Texas, is in high-demand among accredited universities — so much so that she just reached a salary of $700,000.

The UH System Board of Regents unanimously approved another three-year contract, with some additional compensation, that will guarantee Khator’s place in the University and expects great things from her in this time slot.

“We have just hit the tip of the iceberg on what the University of Houston System and the University of Houston flagship can accomplish. She has so many wonderful ideas and plans for this university,” said UH System Board of Regents chair Nelda Blair. “That’s why she wants to be here.”

Khator was appointed as president and chancellor in 2008 and is the first foreign-born president and second female to hold the position. She planned for the University to reach Tier One status in five to seven years, yet accomplished it in four.

After her next term concludes in 2015, she will have held the office of president and chancellor for seven years — the longest dual leadership in UH history. No chancellor has held office for more than six years, and no president has held the position for as long since Philip Guthrie Hoffman was president for 16 years from 1961 to 1977.

Blair said the Board of Regents hopes to keep Khator around for much longer.

“Now, the state of Texas only allows us to bind her for three years at a time, but we would probably do 30 if we could,” Blair said. “(Khator is) going to lead this university system into the next decade no doubt about it.”

“She is committed; she has made that promise to me personally.”

The new contract, effective since Sept. 1 until August 2015, sets Khator’s salary at a 40-percent increase than in her last term and grants her a one-time signing and renewal bonus of $150,000, an annual retention bonus of $100,000 and a contingent of $50,000 based on her performance — all new to the term agreement.

“She has such passion, dedication and commitment to this university, and the Board feels that this new contract shows our commitment to Renu Khator,” Blair said.

According to The Texas Tribune’s Government Employee Salary Database, the president of Texas A&M University makes $424,999 a year; the president of the University of Texas at Austin makes $613,612; Texas State University pays its president $354,486; and Lamar University pays its president $306,034 a year.

According to the database, Khator is the highest paid university president in Texas colleges excluding university hospitals and medical branches.

“It’s what we think will help keep her here, and I know that the city of Houston — particularly the business people — will be very, very happy to hear that,” Blair said.

Blair had nothing but positive things to say about Khator and the renewal of her contract to UH. As far as Blair is concerned, UH will remain the home of Khator for the duration of the foreseeable future.

“She is such an enormously wonderful leader,” Blair said. “She has in her mind not only goals and dreams but real growth and accomplishments and wonderful things that are going to happen to the University of Houston.”

“This is where her heart is. She bleeds Cougar red.”

• can you imagine how that must feel – really wanting to stay here and help UH because you love it so much, but being torn by the need for a few more professor’s salaries. she must have been like ohhhhh i really want to help you so muchhhh! GO COOGS CO COOGS!. But I need more moneyyyyy GO COOGS!!! I work so hard laughing with rich people all day over expensive food and being applauded and having to feign modesty and recite the same 3 talking points all the time like a public relations puppet clown. GO COOGS!!