Fine Arts

Theater, dance schools start semester in high gear

The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Center for the Arts will premiere "Hit List" and "Paradise Hotel" later this semester.

The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Center for the Arts will premiere “Hit List” and “Paradise Hotel” later this semester.

A new year means not only the start of a new semester, but also new performances by UH’s School of Theatre and Dance.

The school will kick off the semester with the world première of a romantic comedy “Hit-Lit,” written by alumnus Robert Wuhl. The show will open 8 p.m. Jan. 29 at the Jose Quintero Theatre and will run through Feb. 2.

Rehearsals for “Paradise Hotel” began Thursday, with Gus Kaikkonen returning to campus to direct, and the production will open at the Lyndall Finley Wortham Theatre on Feb. 22 and will run through March 3. The semester ends with Shakespeare’s “As You Like It,” which will run from April 19 to 28.

“We continue to prepare our students for the profession,” said Steven Wallace, director of the School of Theatre and Dance.

The Dance Program kicks off the semester with Monday March Madness, an informal exhibition of short works by students, at 7:30 p.m. March 4 at Wortham.

“UH Dance Goes to the Barn!,” a performance produced, created and danced entirely by students, premieres March 27 at the Barnevelder Theatre.

Faculty members have also choreographed a concert, which will run April 5 through 7 at Wortham.

“I continue to strive to build our dance division while shepherding our wonderful dance students along the way to getting their degrees and moving toward successful futures,” said Karen Stokes, head of Dance Division.

Tickets for any of these performances can now be purchased online at www.uh.edu/class/theatre-and-dance/buy-tickets/index.php.