Obituary

CoT professor dies

Michael Lucas Gibson, a former graduate professor for the College of Technology and chair for Information and Logistics Technology Department, died Jan. 5.The College of Technology hired Gibson in 2002, teaching graduate-level courses in project management, database management and information systems.

He was a strong advocate for accreditation for UH programs, said Fred Lewallen, associate dean for Academic Affairs in the College of Technology.“He had wanted us to take a leadership role as far as the nation was concerned, as the Houston area was concerned. There is a project management institute, which has a group that works with project managers and certify people to work in the project management area,” Lewallen said.

“It’s a very important certification, and nationwide if you’re looking for a job, that probably means quite a bit. He is responsible for bringing that. He is the person that pushed that to get here.”

Lewallen worked with Gibson when the latter came to UH, but started working with him more frequently when Gibson became chair for ILTD.

“During the time he was chair, all the programs in the ILT Department moved forward in terms of quality. Dr. Gibson was very passionate about project management. He was very passionate about information technology and information systems,” Lewallen said.

“He and I traveled one time for accreditation and he was very passionate about getting the appropriate accreditation for each program in the ILT department. He felt that it was very important that we had some outside measurement of the quality of our programs and that is what accreditation does.”

Gibson was highly regarded by his colleagues and influential in his department during the time he was chair, Lewallen said.

He will be greatly missed, said William Fitzgibbon, dean of the College of Technology.

“As a senior professor, Michael was a valuable colleague and mentor to our faculty, and he will be missed by all,” Fitzgibbon said in a news release.

He is survived by his wife Krystal and his son Jason.