Food

Food to try before winter ends

Recipes: Sweet-cream crepes | Cheddar cheese grits | Glazed bacon

brown sugar-glazed bacon

Brown sugar-glazed bacon

I have always associated the cold with breakfast foods; I am not sure why. Maybe it’s the body’s natural incline to develop more insulation, but nothing hits the spot during some winter weather like some crepes, cheddar cheese grits and some brown sugar-glazed bacon.

Not since bacon has there been such an incredibly simple addition to the first meal of the day as fried batter — waffles, pancakes, crepes, funnel cake. There are entire restaurants dedicated to it. Though every variation is equally unique, I cannot help but say that crepes are probably the best when done right. With its plethora of toppings and fillings that pair so well, the crepe is the most versatile breakfast food. If there is any doubt, try making a pizza on a pancake or waffle, roll it up and tell me if that looks as good as a crepe in the same configuration.

Grits are one of the many great byproducts of corn, what was once originally thought to be good enough only for peasants and a pig’s trough, is now the American risotto. Much like the aborio rice dish, grits release their starch into the water they are cooked in, creating this illusion that they are in a creamy sauce, a seemingly endless wave of velvet with a bite. Adding cheddar cheese, or bacon will only make it better, definitely a side dish for my last meal.

I feel like trying to argue against why a breakfast needs bacon would be the same as if you tried to argue why a bar shouldn’t serve beer. I understand if your religious beliefs restrict you, but for everyone else, there is no reason not indulge in some succulent, crispy brown slices of unhealthy swine fat tissue.

Try the food out by following the links to the recipes.