Baseball

UH alum selected to Canadian World Baseball Classic squad

Former Cougar Jesse Crain was selected to his third World Baseball classic. |  Courtesy of UH Athletics

Former Cougar Jesse Crain was selected to his third World Baseball classic. | Courtesy of UH Athletics

Jesse Crain, former UH standout and current Chicago White Sox reliever, has been selected to represent his native Canada in the 2013 World Baseball Classic. This is the Toronto native’s third appearance in the WBC.

Crain, who arrived at UH in 2002, was named to the Conference USA all-conference team that same year. The 2002 squad won the C-USA title in the regular season and ended the year ranked ninth in the national standings. After the season, Crain was named first-team All-America by Baseball America and second-team All-America by the American Baseball Coaches Association.

“I’m extremely proud of Jesse and all he has accomplished as an elite Major League player,” said head coach Todd Whitting. “As an all-time Cougar great, we are fortunate to have him represent Houston baseball on the international level. He is very deserving of this honor of representing Team Canada during the prestigious World Baseball Classic.”

For the 2002 season, Crain compiled a 4-0 record and allowed only one run in 38.1 relief innings. His earned run average for the season was an impressive 0.23. He also started at shortstop for the Cougars and hit .309, driving in 47 RBIs. He was drafted that year by the Minnesota Twins and was called up to the majors in 2004. In 2010, he signed a three-year contract with the Chicago White Sox.

Crain’s previous two selections to the WBC were in 2006 and 2009. He recorded a save in 2006 against South Africa and struck out all four batters he faced in 2009 against Italy.