Women's Basketball

Southern Miss presents test

The Cougars (8-8) are attempting to get over .500 for the first time all season and go 3-2 in conference with a win against the Golden Eagles.

UH forced a total of 24 turnovers in its first road victory of the season against Marshall — similar success on defense could lead to a victory.

The Cougars thrive on creating turnovers because they lead to fast breaks and easy attempts at the bucket. Southern Miss has had as many as 19 turnovers a game, which looks good for UH who forced 24 in their game against Marshall.

The biggest threat for the Cougars is junior point guard and leading scorer junior point guard Jamierra Faulkner, who averages more than 15 points and six assists per game. Another player for the Cougars to keep an eye out for is senior guard Tanecka Carey, a player who shoots 40 percent from behind the arc and has the same scoring average.

The Golden Eagles will try to keep junior forward Yasmeen Thompson, who has racked up 40 rebounds in her last three games, out of the paint, setting her season average at around 10 per contest.

The Cougars have struggled from the free-throw line heading into this game, as they only shot 60 percent in their game against Marshall.

The Cougars are looking to add another victory at Hofheinz Pavilion, where they are 7-2. Tipoff is at 7 p.m.