Administration

Regents have money on their minds

The majority of people in established career fields have at least one boss or authority figure to report to. President and Chancellor Renu Khator has 10.

The UH System Board of Regents, who appointed Khator five years ago, will meet at 12:45 p.m. to discuss the delegation of University-related responsibilities to her, among other things.

“Our top priority remains student success,” Khator said. “We are all involved in creating and sustaining an environment at UH that fosters genuine understanding and achievement by our students.”

The Board of Regents is the governing body of all universities in the UH System. It consists of nine regular members and one student regent appointed by the Texas governor and legislature to uphold the System’s public image and provide policy direction.

A large role of the board is to hire and manage university presidents and chancellors. They also have the duty to delegate certain authorities as seen fit.

The meeting looks to approve Khator’s authoritative measures on matters concerning Fiscal Year 2013 insurance contracts, the purchasing of natural gas, lease space for the development of housing and the writing off of aged financial delinquency accounts.

According to the Board of Regents’ meeting’s agenda packet, the FY2012 accounts that need to be written off total about $6.7 million, up from about $5.8 million last year.

“State universities are required by law to extend credit to students without consideration of credit history or the ability to repay,” the agenda said.

The Board of Regents also looks to approve the addition of an industrial design master’s program, a master of athletic training degree, an integrated communication concentration and a bachelor of arts in world cultures and literature — all of which were approved by the Academic and Student Success Committee in a meeting Tuesday.

The Board of Regents will also look at a proposal to award honorary degrees to “individuals who have made significant contributions to the community and the University of Houston,” according to an item approved in Tuesday’s ASSC meeting.

The board will meet in the Waldorf Astoria Ballroom in the UH Hilton Hotel.

Additional reporting by Joshua Mann.