Baseball

The past and present collide

Even future Cougars raise their paw print in unison with current and former players when the school song is played.  |  Courtesy of UH Athletics

Even future Cougars raise their paw print in unison with current and former players when the school song is played. | Courtesy of UH Athletics

As far as a tune-up game went, the UH baseball team would have had a hard time picking a better one than they had Saturday.

More than 500 fans and 60 baseball alumni — ranging from members of the 1967 squad that reached the College World Series to members of last year’s team that have been drafted — attended the annual Fan Appreciation Day and Alumni game.

Past greats such as Doug Drabek and Woody Williams and current major leaguers Jesse Crain and Brad Lincoln played in the game.

“It was great to have all the former players back at the University of Houston for our alumni game” said head coach Todd Whitting. “It was a great turnout once again. Two years ago this became the alumni game and fan appreciation day as well and to have this crowd out was really great.”

The team noted that this game was a great way to see how improved things are after a season of extensive weight training and defensive adjustments.

“It’s a great day for us to come out here and have fun and get better,” said senior pitcher Ryan Bonnot.

For the second straight year, a consortium of baseball alumni was shutout by the current Cougars. The current team won 9-0.  |  Justin Tijerina/The Daily Cougar

For the second straight year, a consortium of baseball alumni was shutout by the current Cougars. The current team won 9-0. | Justin Tijerina/The Daily Cougar

Houston pitchers held the alumni scoreless through the seven-inning game, with senior Matt Hernandez, juniors Daniel Poncedeleon, Chase Wellbrock, Dylan Rucker and Tyler Ford participating along with sophomore Aaron Garza and freshman Jake Lemoine. It was the second straight shutout that a current Houston squad has put on an alumni team.

From the batter’s box, it was a good day for the Cougars as several players racked up multi-hit games. Junior catcher Caleb Barker put up three hits, leading the team.

“Thing’s couldn’t have turned out better the way that we played today,” Barker said.

When the game finally wrapped and the players departed the field to sign autographs, the score was 9-0, a result that left head coach Todd Whitting happy and hopeful.

“I know it’s a sign of things to come this season. It was really good to get all the old guys back and bring them back home,” Whitting said. “We saw a pretty good test with Jesse Crain, Garrett Mock and some of those Major Leaguers and upper level minor leaguers. It was a good day. I thought the team played well.”

The regular season will open Feb. 15 when the Cougars host Northeastern University for a three-game series through Feb. 17 at Cougar Field.