Events

Coogs get a little country

Two Houston-based country bands that will be performing in the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo and free food brought together 120 students and half a dozen organizations.

Justin van Sant and The Grievous Angels preformed Thursday in the UC Houston Room for the Student Program Board’s Rodeo Concert Night. Coog Radio provided tunes for Dance On to teach the crowd the two-step and the Copperhead Road Line Dance, Frontier Fiesta provided cut-outs and a prize was given to the best dressed.

“This is the first time we’ve done something like this,” said Kevin Lacson, SPB concerts chair who organized the event. “This event was intended to broaden audiences, and I think it did. Having people here dancing was a success.”

Though Rodeo Concert Night had less turnout than previous events, Lacson says the students who came had a great time.

One of those students, Sherrell Johnson, a political science and psychology senior, came to the event because her friend invited her. “I’m not a fan of country music, but it was fun,” Johnson said. “I learned how to two-step and line dance, and the bands were pretty good.”

Johnson never heard of the bands but after learning that they performed at the 2011 Houston Press Awards and will be performing at the rodeo, she said it is surprising that SPB could bring them to campus.

“SPB is a really good organization,” Johnson said. “They put a great effort in this event.”

Marvin Castillo, a civil engineering freshman, also enjoyed the bands and wants to see them at the rodeo. “I really like the music. I like the genre, the way it was played and the songs that were played,” Castillo said. “My favorite part was the dancing. I like dancing. It helps get stuff off my mind.”

Castillo wasn’t the only one coming to the event to dance. Moojan Hakim, a digital media freshman, came to the concert with her dance partner, Eric James, a supply chain and logistics technology freshman.

“We came because we went to midnight rodeo, started dancing and we had lots of fun,” Hakim said. “So when we saw the signs we decided to come.”

Hakim and James were on the dance floor most of night. “(Grievous Angels) songs were a little slow for our dancing,” James said. “But they’re good. Good band.”

Thursday night will not be the last time UH students see van Sant. They are returning for Frontier Fiesta. “Everybody here is very easy to work with. Everybody here is so professional,” van Sant said.

Van Sant said he likes the energy at UH. “I thought tonight was great. The crowd was into it and cheering. The crowd is never too small or too big for us to have a good time.”

Van Sant said he is looking forward to Frontier Fiesta. He says because he is from Houston, whenever he feels like experiencing college tailgating, he comes to UH.

“Everybody here is always ready to have a good time. Coog Nation.”