Music

Coogs focus on homework instead of Grammys

The 55th Annual Grammy Awards were held Sunday with performances by Mumford & Sons, Justin Timberlake and The Black Keys, but it didn’t catch the attention of many UH students.

Chemistry junior Alex Portillo wasn’t aware that it aired.

“I have too many things to do to worry about who won what,” Portillo said. “Besides, next year there’s going to be another winner, so what’s the point?”

Media productions senior Karla Rodriguez had more important things to watch.

“The Walking Dead was coming back on, and that was much more important than the Grammys,” Rodriguez said. “There was a marathon before the new episode, and I could just figure out who won afterwards, so it doesn’t matter.”

Biology sophomore Angelica Barganza didn’t bother watching television.

“I really had a lot of homework to do.”

UH students aren’t the only ones not watching. The 2012 Grammys pulled 39 million viewers after Whitney Houston’s death. This year’s Grammys had 28.1 million viewers, an 11 percent drop.

Public relations sophomore Lauren Keith was happy with the performances and glad she tuned in.

“I’m really happy that Fun. won record of the year, but I really thought it was going to be Frank Ocean. The overall awards and performances were really great.”

Advertising sophomore David Morales watched the show with his girlfriend.

“I didn’t really want to watch it, but I’m glad I did,” Morales said. “The performances were really good, and it was fun reading the Grammy tweets people were posting. They make more sense when you’ve actually watched them.”