To be or not to be my valentine?

Valentine’s Day. For those in a relationship, it’s a time to bond and go out on a special date. Single people might hang out with friends, and those who don’t celebrate it might just stay in and catch up on some homework.

“I don’t care about it, if you love someone you should show them everyday,” said business freshmen Asia Kullab.

The origins of Valentine’s Day are shrouded in mystery and speculation. According to www.history.com one of the legends that surrounds the holiday is that St. Valentine was a priest who served in third century Rome. Emperor Claudius II outlawed young men to marry so they could serve in the army. Valentine would perform marriages in secret and was put to death when Cladius found out.

Whether the story of St. Valentine is true, Valentine’s Day is one of the most celebrated holidays, but some students feel that the holiday has become overly commercialized.

“Valentine’s Day: It’s a nice holiday in thought, but in fact, I think it has been materialized and made to be shallow. I’m not going to down anyone who really goes all out even though I’m not going to be doing anything,” said English freshman Jacob Wagner.

Others feel that Valentine’s Day is too much pressure.

“I think it’s kind of stupid and overrated,” said psychology sophomore Elisa Biondo. “Its all just a big marketing scheme.”