Music

It don’t mean a thing if it ain’t got that swing

An audience of bobbing heads and a stage of men dressed in black playing shiny instruments that reflected light everywhere was the scene that took place at the Moores Opera House during its 15th annual Jazz festival Saturday.

This year’s guest, trumpeter Lew Soloff, was introduced by his friend and Moores Jazz Department Director Noe Marmolejo.

“I was a kid growing up in south Texas. When I listened to Lew Soloff’s music for the first time, I was so inspired and realized that there were a lot of things that I did not know about,” Marmolejo said.

The concert was not only a great opportunity for audiences, but also for the student members of the jazz ensemble who got to perform with a “legend.”

The night started off with “Portait of Louis Armstrong,” a piece composed by American composer Duke Ellington. The tune was upbeat and provided the quintessential jazz feeling of a big, lively band.

Soloff then talked about his grandson and how it was the first time the toddler witnessed his grandfather play.

The next piece played was “Beautiful Love.”

“This is a piece that the jazz ensemble and I have practiced, but I have never performed,” Soloff said. “I would not be doing this if these guys weren’t so good.”

Marmolejo demonstrated his passion to not only direct but play the trumpet as well. Throughout the concert, he could be spotted bobbing his head and tapping his feet gently against the floor. He fluidly moved from his post directing in front of the stage to the back of stage, where he played the trumpet.

The spotlight not only shone on Soloff but also on students like saxophonist Darrel Materum and graduate assistant and bass player Gerald Massoud.

“Spinning Wheel” was the tune chosen for the encore. It ended the night on the right note and had the audience clapping and singing along.

“These guys are really great, and I want all of you to support them,” Soloff said. “They are one of the best student ensembles that I have played with.”

• My wife and I attended this awesome concert on Saturday night. Mr. Soloff and the Cougar Jazz Ensemble were both in excellent form. Mr. Soloff was really on a tear, and his solos blew the roof off the joint. I have never had the chance to hear such a talented trumpeter before. The best part of it all was seeing Mr. Soloff continue his teaching directly on stage, as the band played, and he would shout encouragement, or offer some direction, to one of the performers.
    The talent on display was huge. It was a shame that the Opera House was about half full.

All in all it was a great Saturday night.