More than a competition

Intramural sports , which promote healthy competition and teamwork, are beneficial to students in many ways, including improved health and long-lasting friendships.  | Courtesy of Alec Walker

Intramural sports , which promote healthy competition and teamwork, are beneficial to students in many ways, including improved health and long-lasting friendships. | Courtesy of Alec Walker

With the bleachers filled and eyes from the second floor gazing down at the courts, students find the basketball intramurals a popular event to take part in at the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center.

Whether you’re participating in the league to be competitive or just to have fun, finance freshman James Curley and management information systems senior Malik Osei-Frimpong were there for both.

Curley has been playing basketball for a long time, and after enduring injuries that forced him to watch from the stands, he says he’s glad to be back to what he does the most.

“I’ve been playing basketball ever since I was in high school. I wanted to go on to play college, but I tore my ACL on both knees,” Curley said.  “I’m just happy; I’m here and able to be back in that competitive mode.”

Curley’s team name is “Dead on Arrival” — a team currently 4-1 — and he hopes they can take home the championship.

Osei-Frimpong has been a part of this intramural league for four years and looks at it as a benefit to his future.

“I’ve been in these intramurals since I was a freshman, and it’s something I would put on my résumé,” Osei-Frimpong said. “I look at it as representing teamwork and cohesion with my teammates.”

At the end of the day, Osei-Frimpong said he also enjoys staying fit, having fun with his teammates and to keep winning — something his squad, “Team Get Chose” has been accustomed to the past few years.

“Other than trying to get this 3-peat for team ‘TGC,’ I like getting a good workout and really enjoy playing ball with the rest of my friends,” Osei-Frimpong said.

Supply chain junior Alec Walker, the intramural sports supervisor and the sport manager of basketball, believes intramural sports helps not just the body but the mind too.

“It provides them (players) with activities to break away from the stress of school and work,” said Walker, a supply chain junior. “Competition and exercise are a great way to relieve stress. Studies have even shown that students who participate regularly in intramural sports feel more attached to the University, which in turn leads to better grades.”

Journalism sophomore Jessica Ibe said she enjoys going to intramurals to see a good show.

“I like going because I get to root for and see my friends participate,” Ibe said. “I personally like to see the guys play because they’re more exciting and more action.”

Walker intends on keeping it competitive and interesting.

“The idea for creating the power rankings and primetime games was to increase competition and create a buzz around the season,” Walker said. “For the competitive leagues, we have also been tracking game by game MVPs, which will culminate in an all-star game at the end of the season.”