Women's Basketball

Landry leads Cougars in home finale

Senior guard Porsche Landry surpassed her former Brittney Scott (2007-11) for seventh spot on the all-time scoring chart with 1,547 points. She scored 28 points in her final game at Hofheinz.   |  Justin Tijerina/The Daily Cougar

Senior guard Porsche Landry surpassed her former Brittney Scott (2007-11) for seventh spot on the all-time scoring chart with 1,547 points. She scored 28 points in her final game at Hofheinz. | Andrew Valderas/The Daily Cougar

With 17 seconds remaining in the game, the crowd rose and paid its respects Sunday to Porsche Landry as she hugged her coach and headed toward the bench for the last time at Hofheinz Pavilion.

Head coach Todd Buchanan said the redshirt senior guard has meant everything to the team this year.

“She’s put this young team with new faces on her back and has carried us to the promise land time and time again for our team,” Buchanan said.

She again meant a lot for the Cougars. UH improved to 7-8 in C-USA and 13-15 overall with the 69-59 victory over Rice University.

Landry was just shy of a triple-double as she had game highs in 28 points, eight assists and nine rebounds. She said she left nothing behind and wanted to leave everything out on the court in her last home outing.

“I wanted to come out and just have fun,” Landry said. “My plan was wanted to get my teammates involved and to play with no consciousness.”

Junior center Yasmeen Thompson registered her sixth double-figure scoring effort and was just shy of a double-double with 13 points and nine rebounds.

Thompson said Landry’s last game will make them play more consistently with the games ahead.

“All of us are going to act like every game is going to be (Landry’s) last,” she said. “We were playing for a lot today and that is going to keep us ahead.”

UH shot a season high 47 percent in the first half and had a 34-24 lead at halftime.

“We stayed aggressive,” Buchanan said. “I thought our defense really started it for us when we forced turnovers and go in transition.”

Buchanan said he is proud and grateful to be associated with such a great player like Landry.

“She’ll have a legacy here at UH for the rest of her life,” Buchanan said. “Everything for her has been well deserved, and I have been extremely humble to be her coach for the past three years.”