Track & Field

Nolan has high expectations

The Cougar men's track team won first place at the C-USA indoor championships | courtesy of UH Athletics.

The Cougar men’s track team won first place at the C-USA indoor championships | courtesy of UH Athletics.

Senior runner Errol Nolan, who excelled in the 200- and 400-meter dash by winning gold for three-straight years, said he is motivated to push himself further.

“I want to make it back to finals like I did (last year), and make better decisions while running. Last year in the final, I got boxed in and I didn’t get to run my race. I ran their race,” Nolan said. “I just need to get out faster; I didn’t do that last year. If I do that this year, I will easily win.”

Nolan will be competing in the 400-meter dash and the 4×4 relay, both of which he plans to break records in.

“We have the school record in the 4×4, and I have the school record in the 400. The plan is to go out there and (set personal records) in both those events,” Nolan said.

Nolan broke the school record during the Iowa State Last Chance meet at 46.10. His compelling performances at meets have ranked in him eighth in the U.S. on the 400-meter dash.

Nolan said he is planning to head to the Olympics in four years and is discussing with head coach Leroy Burrell his future status as a runner after UH.

“(I’m going to miss) having a team around me; a supportive team,” Nolan said. “From the pros I saw, they’re on their own. So having a team, a support staff and the home meets; that’s what I’ll miss the most.”

With the indoor season ending March 9, Nolan said he plans to end on a good note.

“The records in front of me and being number one on the list every time — I’m always trying to reach those goals,” Nolan said.

After achieving their 13th team title since 1997 in Conference USA Indoor Championships, men’s and women’s track and field will compete in the NCAA Championships on Friday and Saturday in Fayetteville, Ark.