Hilton evacuated in incident
At 7:57 p.m. Sunday at the Conrad N. Hilton College of Hotel and Restaurant Management, guests and staff members evacuated the hotel because of smoke and a power outage.
The cause of the incident was a hydraulic pump malfunction in one of the hotel’s elevators. No one was injured.
The evacuees walked across the street to the University Center until the power was restored at 9:27 p.m.
“We have to look out for the safety of everyone at the College — especially the students,” said Fernando Cuellar, general manager for the hotel.