Activities & Organizations

Student organization is ‘Linning’

The Partnership for the Advancement and Immersion of Refugees, a UH organization, has won Houston Rockets star Jeremy Lin’s Making a Difference Project.

UH organization, PAIR, which tutors and mentors students at schools across Houston, took the children to a basketball game this semester. | Courtesy of Valerie Hang

PAIR competed against two other organizations to win publicity from Lin as well as funding for its program.

UH PAIR president and education junior Valerie Hang said the organization has big plans.

“PAIR is utilizing the funding to support its summer program for refugee youth from three different neighborhoods of Houston. The funds will support supplies, summer counselors, stipends for refugee youth, leadership development and more,” she said.

Gemrick Curtom, public relations junior and UH PAIR publicity officer, said UH PAIR used networking and social media to win the competition.

“We worked closely with the Rice PAIR chapter to campaign. Plenty of flyers were passed out weeks in advance of the deadline and also during our bake sale in CEO’s Carnaval of Cultures. We made a Facebook event with instructions on how to cast a vote and invited over 19,000 people,” Curtom said.

Hang said PAIR received a lot of help from family and friends.

“We had to work very hard to get out the word about the contest, and we were overwhelmed with the friends and friends of friends that rallied for us throughout the contest and up until the very end. Literally 11:59 p.m. on Thursday, March 7,” she said.

Curtom said the contest got very close.

“I think we all knew we had a good chance at winning, but at one point PAIR was down by 1,000 votes overnight,” he said.

Hang said she was happy with the final results of the contest.

“It was an amazing feeling to see that we actually won, and it made us realize what a strong, dedicated, energetic team we have. We are incredibly grateful for every single individual who has made this organization what it is today,” she said.

Curtom said winning Lin’s Make a Difference Program can help PAIR grow.

“Hopefully, PAIR will expand its program and be able to serve more refugees here in Houston. With this additional support, PAIR will be able to do more as a non-profit,” he said.

Hang agreed.

“With the exposure that Jeremy Lin will bring to PAIR, we hope to bring more awareness to refugees and the great potential of refugee youth throughout our city,” she said.