Women's Basketball

Landry prepares for life after UH

body_IMG_5400_webready

Porsche Landry is the Cougars’ all-time leader in assists. | The Daily Cougar/ File photo

For Porsche Landry, the attributes that led to success on the court might benefit the redshirt senior guard when her playing days are finished. Although Landry’s illustrious UH career is finished, she has future aspirations that match her character.

“I’d love to continue and keep playing, whether it’s the WNBA or overseas. I also have a plan B and other dreams if basketball doesn’t work out,” Landry said. “I actually want to be a firefighter. I’m real physical, and I like to stay active. I can’t stay behind a desk or anything like that.”

“Firefighter or police officer — I’d love to do both. My uncle is a police officer, and I think he would serve as a good mentor,” she said.

After she checked out of the Cougars’ loss in opening round of the Conference USA tournament with 51 seconds remaining, Landry embraced her head coach before heading toward the bench — similar to how she did after her final home game, but with one difference: Landry had played her final game for head coach Todd Buchanan as a Cougar on Wednesday.

Buchanan said he was very thankful for what Landry has done for UH.

“I told her I love her, and I’ll always be appreciative of what she has done for our basketball program,” he said. “She’s marked a legacy.”

Landry said she enjoyed playing at UH.

“Playing with this team means a lot to me. I really enjoy going out with these girls one last time. It is truly a blessing.”

Landry made an immediate impact during her 2008-09 freshman campaign, as she started in 30 of 31 games to help lead the Cougars to a 20-11 record — UH’s first winning season since 2004-05.

Landry and her teammates captured a C-USA championship in the 2010-11 season when they posted a 26-4 overall record and went undefeated (16-0) in conference play. The team clenched a spot in the NCAA Division I Tournament, but was defeated by West Virginia in the opening round.

The Cougars struggled the following year (2011-12) when Landry suffered a season-ending neck injury at Georgetown in just the third game of the season; UH finished with a 4-26 overall record.

Landry has set records for the most starts (121) and assists in school history (483) and was one of three players to average 16.6 points, 5.4 rebounds and 4.6 assists per game this season, nationally.

“I wasn’t a scoring point guard until I started playing for coach Buchanan,” Landry said. “He started telling me to go. Once I learned that I could score too, it made the assists much easier to come by. I just had a complete game.”

Now, Landry is preparing for the next chapter.