From the Editor

Letter from the Editor: Consider covering campus for The Daily Cougar

News is everywhere, especially at UH. The faculty is constantly being awarded, crime — unfortunately — is ongoing, and breaking news provides the occasional excitement. At the heart of this excitement is, and will always be, The Daily Cougar.

With a daily updated website and a four-day-a-week paper product, the staff keeps busy and is constantly looking for fresh faces to join. Any student at the University is able to work on staff, and all should feel welcome.

If you have any interest in UH’s sports, news, arts, or students’ opinion, you should not only read the paper daily but become a part of it. At the Cougar you can write about what you like and what you feel the students need to know.

Basically there are five main reasons why you should join The Cougar staff. And, if I’ve convinced you, you can apply here:  hedailycougar.com/apply. Important to remember, we run content online and in a weekly paper during the summer too.

REASON 1: It pays. While it not be much, we compensate for your time and energy.

REASON 2: It pads your papers. Whether you’re looking for something to fill your time or your resume, being on staff gives you opportunities to learn every side of the newspaper industry. Plus, you’ll build a portfolio of published works as a writer or photographer.

REASON 3: You get to participate in a real newsroom. It doesn’t exactly resemble Aaron Sorkin’s fast- paced vision on HBO, but it’s something. The newsroom has a teach-just-left-the-room vibe, in that we get stuff done but in our own fashion.

REASON 4: You make friends. Depending on your title, you get to know a lot of people really well. We all share similar interests. We take similar classes. You develop a covetable TDC friends group that acts as a family.

REASON 5: Why not? I can basically combat any reason you have not to, so go ahead and try me. Or just take my word for it and apply now.

— Natalie Harms, News editor