Men's Basketball

Lewis returns to stomping grounds

Former head coach Guy Lewis (left) had high profile supporters like UH president Renu Khator (bottom right) and UH great Elvin Hayes (top right).  Nichole Taylor/The Daily Cougar

Former head coach Guy Lewis (left) had high profile supporters like UH president Renu Khator (bottom right) and UH great Elvin Hayes (top right). Nichole Taylor/The Daily Cougar

UH’s own Elvin Hayes has one regret about the timing of his induction into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.

The former forward wishes he could have joined with fellow UH legend Guy V. Lewis, the coach who earned a place in the Hall on Monday.

“Where I’m jealous though is that I’m not a part of his class,” Hayes said.

“It would have been great to have been able to say, ‘Man I’m a part of Coach Lewis’ class,’ because it’s a real special moment for that class and they are going to bond together.”

Lewis, 91, wore a UH hat and Cougar red sweater and sat in his wheelchair while his daughter, Sherry Lewis, spoke for the family during a press conference Tuesday at Hofheinz Pavilion. It’s hard for him to talk after a stroke so Lewis didn’t speak for himself.

He can still show emotions, though. His frequent smiles told the story.

Sherry Lewis said she has to play 20 questions sometimes to figure out what Lewis is trying to say, but he still has the same mind.

”He knows what he wants to say; I just kind of have to guess,” Sherry said. ”He’s still Guy Lewis in there.”

Guy V. Lewis had a smile on his face when he learned that he was a Hall of Famer, Sherry Lewis said. The family was starting to think the recognition would never come. Lewis’ wife, Dena, can’t stop smiling.

“It was a shock honestly, because we have been down this road before. We are happy to be back at Hofheinz because he is really at peace here,” Sherry Lewis said.

Guy V. Lewis’ return to UH was large enough that President Renu Khator came to pay tribute to Guy V. Lewis’ accomplishments. She said she had to come when she found out Guy V. Lewis was making an appearance at UH.

Khator said it was hard to put into words what Guy V. Lewis’ induction into the Hall of Fame meant to the University.

“When I found out, I just decided I would come for a brief second just to congratulate Coach and what he has done for this community, for the University, is incredible,” Khator said.

“It’s a golden moment. It feels like we’ve went back to our golden days and hopefully we can find inspiration from this energy and build an outstanding program here.”

Sherry Lewis said the family is filled with joy but not upset that it took so long to get Guy V. Lewis into the Hall of Fame.

“As one friend said, ‘Dad is used to winning in overtime,’” Sherry Lewis said as Guy V. Lewis cracked a smile.