Golf

Cougars make second-day surge at C-USA Championships

Sophomore golfer Roman Robledo shot a  second round 65 to put him in second place and help UH grab a share of the lead.  |  Esteban Portillo/ The Daily Cougar

Sophomore golfer Roman Robledo shot a second round 65 to put him in second place and help UH grab a share of the lead. | Esteban Portillo/ The Daily Cougar

Each morning the Cougars get shots off the tee at 6 a.m. before practice, just to make sure they are prepared for the challenges that the course will bring.

“We’ve accomplished a lot by the time that people roll out of bed,” Dismuke said. “These guys have sacrificed a lot to get where they are now.”

In golf there are many things that can’t be controlled, like the weather, the condition of the course and the opponent, but this season the Cougars have made an effort to control the things they can.

Director of golf Jonathan Dismuke said he makes sure the team is well prepared, has its emotions in check and works through the right thought process.

The extra work has paid off. The Cougars erased a eight-stroke deficit to SMU as a team in one day and are tied for first place at the Conference USA Championships in Texarkana Ark.

The Cougars posted an 8-under-par — Monday’s lowest team round  — which moved the Cougars into a tie with SMU with a two-day total of 566.

The last time UH won a C-USA title in 2001, it swept both the individual and team events when then-freshman Brad McIntosh won the contest.

The Cougars have a chance to sweep both titles again.

Sophomore Roman Robledo surged to second place by shooting a 65 on Monday. After the first round Sunday, he was tied for 14th.

Robledo has a 137 for the tournament, one stroke behind SMU golfer Bryson Dechambeau for the lead.

“I put the ball in great places,” Robledo said. “Yesterday, I struggled with that. … Today, I had the mindset of making every shot and I just ended up putting well.”

Dismuke said Robledo has the talent to consistently compete.

“Roman is in the upper echelon with his physical abilities and today showed that. He hits the ball well, and he has so much distance,” Dismuke said. “When he has control of the ball with his irons and makes putts, he is going to shoot nice scores, and he did that.”

Robledo’s round started successfully. He opened with two birdies and finished the front nine with three birdies.

He started the back nine just as strong.

Robledo birdied two of the first three holes then finished his day with birdies on the last two holes.

Robledo’s final shot of the day — a 40-foot birdie — gave the Cougars a share of the team lead with SMU.

Including Robledo, the Cougars have three players in the top 10. Junior Curtis Reed is tied for third place while freshman Vincent Martino is sitting at seventh.

Dismuke said the Cougars need to stick to the plan in order to come away with a victory.

“I just think we have to keep a handle on emotions. We just have to take care of our own business,” Dismuke said. “I try to put expectations on things we can control… Results will take care of themselves.”