Campus

UH remembers its community

University president Renu Khator will deliver a speech in honor of the members of the UH community who have passed away in 2012. | Courtesy of UH.edu

University president Renu Khator will deliver a speech Thursday in honor of the members of the UH community who have passed away in 2012. | Courtesy of UH.edu

With essays, finals and the spring graduation ceremony fast approaching, it can be easy to disregard those who passed away recently. However, the A.D. Bruce Religion Center holds an annual UH Day of Remembrance to honor faculty, students, staff, alumni and friends who have passed within this academic year.

“This University of Houston tradition has been held for over 20 years,” said manager of A.D. Bruce Religion Center Bruce Twenhafel.

“Many colleges and universities have annual memorial services or programs that honor their students, faculty, staff and alumni that have passed away.”

UH Day of Remembrance is coordinated both by the religion center and the Campus Ministries Association with support for the event given by the University Center and the University Development. Those being honored at the event will be honored all at once, not individually, because there are too many people to fit into the ceremony. There will be a candlelight service and words from President Renu Khator and other UH members.

“There is the Memorial Service at 12 in the afternoon and then a reception following. During the service, Dr. Khator will offer comments,” Twenhafel said.

“Then, four candles will be lit individually by Cedric Bandoh, president of SGA, Steven Wallace, president of the Faculty Senate, Ron Gonyea, president of Staff Council and John Clarke, chairman of the Board for the UH Alumni Association. The service will close with the singing of the Alma Mater by members of the UH Man Choir under the direction of Dr. Jeb Mueller.”

Bandoh is participating in the UH Day of Remembrance for the second time this year.

“I had the honor of lighting a candle during the ceremony to honor all of the students who have passed during the past year,” Bandoh said.

“This is definitely a UH tradition and an opportunity to pay respects to all the members of the Cougar family who have passed. I would encourage everyone who can make it to come and be a part of this very special ceremony.”

For those unable to attend the event, Twenhafel said there is an alternative to honoring the deceased UH members

“If they can’t attend, we do have red honor bands that they can wear in support,” Twenhafel said.

Day of Remembrance will be honoring dozens of deceased UH members from noon to 1 p.m. For more information and the full list of those being honored at the event, visit UH.edu/adbruce.